Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Free Speech and Right of Petition Merely An Illusion

With all the political fallout post the recent tragedy in Arizona, an event which precipitated all the dialogue between the political analysts on television with respect to free speech and civility, the fact remains that in the land of the free and home of the brave free speech and the right of petition is merely an illusion, no matter how civil.

How would I know? My personal story post my exile from my former home of 45 years is proof positive.

I am a 57 year old white female and mother of three grown adult children. Hardly a threat to anyone, and in fact have been the victim of numerous property crimes within the past ten years, including the loss of a home I had lived in for over 12 years, my last home in Arizona as a single mom raising my children.

In my younger years, I worked in law and also the travel industry after my divorce, making not a whole lot of money but with hours that afforded me to continue to be a present parent during the tumultuous teen years. My kids all had their rebellious years, and my birth family was spread out throughout the country due to jobs and marriages. I and one of my children were asthmatics so Arizona remained home throughout their growing up years.

My youth was also somewhat rebellious, but mild in comparison in looking back. I excelled in academics, and also was involved in civic and extra-curricular activities and eventually married my high school sweetheart, although it did not last.

After the mortgage boom and bust, and due to other corporate friendly laws and statutes in Arizona, I eventually lost my home or at least any enjoyment in it my last child's final year in high school.

Graduation plans were intermingled with listing my home and attempting to find a buyer while the market was tanking. I had had to refinance during the boom due to increasing property taxes and insurance, and got caught up in a loan underwritten by Indy Mac bank which also then factored into the eventual loss. But the lawyers, realtors, title companies and bank made out as I was able to eventually find a buyer and got off much better than some, although also lost a small business I had during this time in which I worked from home in order to be around until the last graduated.

I sold most of what I owned to pay off the debts, and also borrowed from relatives in order to pay off more. From parents who were living off a small pension from my father's former employment, and their social security and whose health was failing - and who were also residents of Louisiana and had been evacuated for Katrina. Both had undiagnosed heart disease for literally decades.

I moved to the Midwest first, but unfortunately the climate did not agree with me, and subsequently got involved in the housing and mortgage situation writing articles on a small blog and letters to my former representatives in Arizona about how and what occurred that resulted in the loss of my home. Moving at 20 is hard. At 50 it is much, much harder.

After several months there, I was stalked in my apartment complex parking lot.

A lawsuit had been filed against me over a matter which had occurred over four and half years prior over an insurance claim, and in which it wasn't even filed until four months after I had left the State of Arizona, and after I had returned most of the monies sought to the insurance company for settlement with the contractor. The amount sought with interest was over three times the claimed debt in addition after four and a half years.

I then heard through the family grapevine that my parents health was not at all good, and decided to travel to Louisiana to be nearer to them at least. Another mistake, as that climate definitely did nothing for my also up and down health after the move, although with the multiple hospitalizations of my parents ended up staying there almost two years. I was there for Gustav, and then got even sicker as mold is one of my asthma triggers. I couldn't even lift my arms for an extended period of time, and was eventually recommended by a doctor that I leave and seek a drier climate just prior to my father's massive heart attack in January, 2010. He, of course, had all the symptoms of heart disease for literally a decade, but was only given blood thinners until the inevitable occurred as a Medicare patient, with a 95% blockage in a major artery.

I continued to write on my small blog (with about 200 views), and also my letters to my former representatives in Arizona. I also began writing on a globally focused website (which also had minimal circulation) my political take after my experiences on the housing and mortgage crisis, border issue, and the health care debate as an "expert" due to my experiences and longevity living in Arizona, and my personal experiences and having gone through the health care system with my parents progressive disease. I also had a mother-in-law that died at 54 of undiagnosed heart disease, so it is a disease that goes undiagnosed in women and men many times until it is far too late.

Most of my petitions were civil, although held much truth due to my experiences. But my free speech rights nor my rights of petition have been respected, and have not at all been unaffected by my continued involvement. Even though it is also those politicians lives and that of their children that are also my concern. Even those who wish me ill.

Presently, I get Golf Digest magazine although never subscribed to it. I have been followed and chased from state to state as I seek a climate in which I can actually breathe by those who obviously are threatened by what I have to say.

Imagine that. A mere 57 year old woman, with a readership of less than 300, if that.

My voice is simply one of many, but there is no civility when you challenge the powers that be. There is simply stalking.

I have less than $4.00 in my bank account, and the contents of what I have left of my possessions now fill less than a 5x10 foot area from a 1,900 square foot house in North Phoenix. Most of them are merely Christmas decorations, dishes, towels and personal records.

This is America, and I am living proof that there is no free speech no matter how civil.

Or how true.